Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: 0.0.2 Post-Mortem  PostPosted: May 20, 2006 - 08:50 PM
Site Admin

Let's have a little discussion of the 0.0.2 experience before we make the 0.0.3 featurelist, shall we?

I think the main problem is that we bit off more than we could chew. The 0.0.2 feature list is huge and would easily have taken a month or two even if we didn't all have day jobs or school or whatever. I think for future releases we need to concentrate on one "major task" for each of the separate sections of the mod.

i.e., one major coding task, one major weapons/gameplay task, one major graphical task, one major map task...

Iceheart correctly pointed out that we, as with the original 6DoF mod, had a big huge lull in the middle of the time period where most people weren't doing anything. On the one hand I think it's understandable because of course after working hard for something you want to take a break, but on the other hand we should try to minimize it. I think we can do so by going easier on the requirements for releases so that nobody feels burned out at the end or thinks that the release is going to take so much time anyways that it's okay to take a bit of a nap.

Not to say everyone must WORK LIKE ZE SHLAVES YOU AHR! but I think having a more coherent, focused view of what is and what isn't realistically doable for the 'next' release would help us all stay interested in consistently working on the mod.

Your toughts?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: 0.0.2 Post-Mortem  PostPosted: May 20, 2006 - 10:28 PM
IC Team

I was amazed at how quickly things came together once they got started. Both you and iceheart were pretty much MIA for a bit, but it let me do a lot of work to catch up and figure out the sound engine.

The playtesting really worked well. I think next release should concentrate on the player. Movement and collision need to be fixed. Lot'sa tweak, test, tweak, post, bitch, tweak type work. Afterburner, rotational friction, wall collision code and sound propagation are my votes (in decending order of priority). Tricording would be nice but it does it seem to sorta work naturally? Or am I high? Shocked

I think art is ahead of the game. There are lots of models and sounds that haven't been implemented yet. We should keep that in mind 'cause there could be easy stuff there. Shield, Energy Pickups come to mind.

The older maps need some work. Mine is awesome and sets the bar a little higher. Pipeline and Whatever don't measure up anymore Sad Sounding the levels will help.

I think all of the objectives for 0.0.2 were valid, so we should just roll the leftovers into the next release. I think it's totally doable and we should work of some sort of timeline/internal release structure. Just so there are regular small goals to focus the chi. I also think the 30-45 day cycle would be doable for this release, given that a lot is "done" already. It's primarily going to be a code/scripting sweatshop for the next release.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: 0.0.2 Post-Mortem  PostPosted: May 20, 2006 - 11:02 PM
Site Admin

You're high, trichording is definitely NOT in. That's actually not too hard to do, so it could be done for 003.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2006 - 11:06 PM
IC Team

Quote:
You're high

[Tommy Chong]Whoa...dude! Thanks man, I was startin' to feak out there![/Tommy Chong]

Razz

Jump to: