Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: Master SFX List  PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 - 05:50 AM
Site Admin

This topic will serve to create a master-list of sound-effects for IC. This post will be continually edited to have a list of sound effects (grouped by type) available in current builds of the art files; post requests for SFX as replies.

Note that Doom³ is capable of randomly deciding upon several sound files when playing a sound-shader. This means, for example, that firing a given weapon can produce one of several sounds. We should generally speaking try to have a decent variety (3-5) of sounds for every weapon; more for some sounds (wall collision *KLUNK*s), less for others (door *WHOOSH*s).

ABSOLUTELY NO RIPPING OF DESCENT SOUNDS IS PERMITTED
We do not want to infringe on the Descent copyright, even if there's not really anyone around to sue us for doing so.

Of course, it is perfectly acceptable to use Doom³ (but not Resurrection of Evil) sounds as a basis for IC SFX, since by definition we're requiring that someone playing IC has a copy of Doom³.

Last edited by HeXetic on May 03, 2007 - 07:45 AM; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 - 06:13 AM
Site Admin

green = DONE
red = URGENTLY NEEDS DOING
blue = Improvements requested, see reply posts for details

Weapons SFX
  • Lasers level 1 (red)
  • Lasers level 2 (violet)
  • Lasers level 3 (blue)
  • Lasers level 4 (green)
  • Quad laser versions of all of the above (just add more stereo) quads play 4 sounds instead of 2
  • Laser impact sounds (can be the same for all levels)
  • Laser impact stone
  • Minigun firing
  • Minigun impact (with the occasional riccochet)
  • Minigun impact stone
  • Generic impact lava (liquid)
  • Concussion missile firing
  • Concussion missile in-flight (long loop?)
  • Concussion missile explosion sound
  • Plasma gun firing (for 0.0.2)
  • Plasma gun impact (for 0.0.2)
  • Pickup Sound for each weapon
  • Respawn sound for ammo, weapons
  • "No weapon" beep/buzz sound for when player attempts to select a weapon they don't have
  • "Empty weapon" beep/buzz sound for when player attempts to select a weapon that has no more ammo

Player
  • Player's ship hit. The original Descent had a glasslike "CLANG". Doom3 is capable of different sounds for different damage levels; we should take advantage of this DONE!
  • Enemy ship hit. Doom3 currently plays a "TUUT" sound when an enemy is hit in MP. [color=red]DONE!/b]
  • Ship impact with wall. This may not be used for a little while, but big KLUNK, KLANG, KLONK sounds (think the T-1000 vs T-800 fight in the foundry in Terminator 2) will be used later when ships collide with the walls and could be useful for promo videos [b]DONE!
  • Afterburner. Should consist of an intense"K-SHNNNNN" followed by a loud "fsssshhhhhh" sound, changing linearly (increasing in pitch, for example) over time to indicate the length of the burn. DONE! Not implemented
  • Ship in flight. IC ships will eventually make soft humming or fshh noises when flying around that will die off when the ship comes to a rest. DONE! Not implemented, need to tweak after seeing ingame
  • Headlight DONE!
  • Weapons Switch. Audio feedback that you've switched weapons. Could be a HUD sound? DONE!Not implemented
  • Ship spawning. Doom3 currently plays a hell-portal sound when a player sounds. -done

Environment
Environmental Sounds are part of the map, and seem to be super easy (thankyou ID for the editor!) but will just take some time. There are lots of good sounds for this in Doom 3, so at this point we'll use what we can from there and fill in the blanks later. Really sounding the level is the last thing to do, so this can wait until the maps are done.
  • Airlock-style doors. Preferrably with a slight hiss as they open. Doors in Doom³ are either big or open fast - doors in Into Cerberon are both
  • Creaking metal. The supports for underground structures eventually become fatigued.
  • Tumbling gravel/rocks. As atmosphere in mines.
  • Soft mechanical hums, whirrrs, and the like. Doom³ has almost an overabundance of these already.
  • Mine drills and other heavy machinery.
  • Lava Crazy, a game partially set in hell with no lava sounds! Correction Lava is in sound/xian/foley/lava_tar

edited a bunch by Narfig

Last edited by HeXetic on May 03, 2007 - 07:42 AM; edited 4 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
iceheartOffline
Post subject: RE: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 - 08:11 AM
IC Team

Sounds good Smile.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 - 01:15 PM
IC Team

cool
there's a pack i uploaded before Coal, it's called fx_3.rar with sounds called "wep4" and "msl3" into it. I think the first could fit for the plasma gun (reminds barely d1's sound). the second for any other small missile (conc or homing)

DuperOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2006 - 06:25 AM
Flyboy

sweet dude!

*what the...?*

Last edited by Duper on Jan 17, 2006 - 05:45 AM; edited 1 time in total

NemeSiS-FactorOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2006 - 11:19 AM
Wing Commander

I think that the plasma rifle in Doom3 sounds pretty close to the plasma in Descent. kinda has a doosh doosh sound. By the way did you make sure the missile travel sequence has a sssshhhhhhhwwoooosshhhhh sound? If not, I'll be very dissapointed.

Crap, I forgot to put on my pants.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2006 - 02:57 AM
IC Team

Quote:
By the way did you make sure the missile travel sequence has a sssshhhhhhhwwoooosshhhhh sound? If not, I'll be very dissapointed.

Doesn't go ssssshhhhwoooshhh yet, just sorta shhhhhhh. A little OpenAL magic should add the woooosh (Doppler)

NemeSiS-FactorOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: SFX wanted  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2006 - 08:17 AM
Wing Commander

I don't know about you guys, but I personally likes the weapon sfx from Descent 3 the best. For instance the homing missile has a scraping sound before exiting the tube. The Mega missile has a large explosion for launch. Whenever I hear that sound I know to get the hell out of the way. I know you guys are very good at making this audio, so I won't tell you how important it is to have the sound match the weapon. Just keep in mind: it is VERY important to have the sound match the weapon.

Narfig, add the wooooosh, or else. Wink

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2006 - 02:56 AM
IC Team

Quote:
Just keep in mind: it is VERY important to have the sound match the weapon.

Awww! Well there goes my idea of using farm animal sounds for all the weapons... Laughing

NemeSiS-FactorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 - 08:34 AM
Wing Commander

That may work actually. It would match both Descent and Doom themes.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 - 07:09 PM
IC Team

To Do list

Player Ship Hit -different damage levels (pain levels) -currently playes generic weapon hit impact
Player Impact with Wall
Ship Spawn

These sounds are in the pak, but haven't figured how to implement them. Until I see them in game, consider them placeholders as they may need editing/fixing. If Iceheart could give me a hand implementing them, they should be good to go for 0.0.2.

Afterburner
Ship Engine Sound
Headlight on/off
Shield Damage -use for player damage +energy weapon impact

Last edited by Narfig_Agar on Feb 05, 2006 - 08:39 PM; edited 1 time in total

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 - 08:03 PM
Site Admin

Narfig, I've added you as a moderator for Internal Discussion. Please feel free to edit my first post (mark the entries in the SFX list that are "done" as done etc.) to update the status of the SFX list.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 - 09:40 PM
IC Team

done, done and done

Now where's my internal release so we can try these puppies out? Razz

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2006 - 07:57 PM
IC Team

After seeing Vertigo's Minerva I figured we also needed stone impact sounds for 0.0.2. So now things like the laser and minigun impacts will sound like they're doing damage to the rocks (even if it doesn't look like it).

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 07:40 AM
IC Team

Lava impacts are done. Mappers make sure your lava is a liquid mtr and your rock is a stone mtr! Many other sounds done too, some outside of the scope of 0.0.2 such as the fusion and spreadfire. But we'll save that for another day Smile

I have sounds for the proxmine fire and weapon, shield and energy pick ups. The ship vs wall impacts are ready for code. I also wondered what a hostage would say when picked up. Would it sound like this? Or simply this, or maybe even this! I only think it gives the proper motivation for the Material Defender to drag them behind the ship! Or maybe strap them to the wings! Razz

Now off to find out what a Pyro GX in pain sounds like! Twisted Evil

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 07:49 AM
Site Admin

Actually dragging them behind the ship is what I wanted to do from the start. When you pick up your team's hostage in Rescue The Hostage (capture the flag mode), he ragdolls and is attached to a ragdoll rope, trailing twenty or so feet behind the ship.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 08:09 AM
IC Team

Hey, you're the one who told me to read the requirements doc! Razz I think it's an awesome idea. It would even be funny if they just became attached to the ship with a hand and ragdolled allong. Like they're hanging on to the outside of the ship. Even funnier with 2 or three of them hanging on like leeches (flying off when u explode?)

...or we could just put them all in the Magic Pants. Embarassed It's like a party in my pants!!! Shocked

lug00berOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 03:28 PM
IC Team

Narfig_Agar wrote:
I also wondered what a hostage would say when picked up. Would it sound like this? Or simply this, or maybe even this! I only think it gives the proper motivation for the Material Defender to drag them behind the ship! Or maybe strap them to the wings! Razz

I'm voting for either the first sound, or the strapped to wings sound Very Happy

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2007 - 07:38 PM
Site Admin

Added "no weapon" SFX to list. This sound plays when the player attempts to select a weapon they don't have (e.g., pressing 2 when they don't have the minigun). There will also be a text notification at the top of the screen (e.g., "No weapon" -- from Descent).

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2007 - 07:43 AM
Site Admin

Added "empty weapon" to SFX list. This plays when the player attempts to select a weapon that is out of ammo (and that is not flagged as selectable-even-when-empty).

Narfig, the code now supports both no-weapon and empty-weapon sound triggers. It's ready when you are.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2007 - 04:06 PM
IC Team

Awesome!

Jump to: