Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 1 unlogged user and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 - 04:09 AM
Site Admin

We can still have lightning, but it wouldn't be part of the model. Doom 3's art code can generate that shit on the fly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2006 - 02:50 AM
IC Team

Now that we've seen the Orb ingame...do we think it's a little big?

Can we shrink it to half the size?

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2006 - 02:55 AM
Site Admin

I think 50% smaller might be too drastic (60-75% might be better), but let's try that anyways so we can see for ourselves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2006 - 02:07 PM
IC Team

I think that the glow is really exagerate (in size), and, in spite of your fps problems, it looks very bad at close distance (the ball has just a few polys and looks segmented)
It's the classic trick of spherical models: near looks bad, far are just wasted polys.
This can be solved by just proveiding it with different LOD models automatically switching to lower poly models when distance increases. Iceheart can do this by himself, just rebuild more truncated balls (leave the window section as it is), radius is 22.5 meters.

iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2006 - 03:19 PM
IC Team

Doom doesn't do LOD, and there's an updated version with a far less slow particle effect.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
TronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2006 - 02:46 AM
IC Team

iceheart wrote:
Doom doesn't do LOD, and there's an updated version with a far less slow particle effect.

It's still far far far too excessive...just adding one shield orb added 150 to the draws count and an extra 3000 tris. Also it shouldn't be casting shadows. Smile

Nice model, how about you just trust the model to look good by itself and turn off the fancy effects for the moment? That glow could easily be accomplished by texture work (similar to the flare attached to the models for fluro tubes in Doom 3) without having such a MASSIVE performance hit.

Remember the golden rule, while you want to try and keep polys down, draws and shadows are ultimately what will and are killing peoples performance.

iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2006 - 04:53 AM
IC Team

In case you don't read the latest in IRC - the excessive draws was a bug, I get 120 draws with 6 orbs on screen now.

On having no shadows on pickups I think we need a discussion, and there's certainly a point to be made for either case.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
TronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2006 - 05:21 AM
IC Team

iceheart wrote:
In case you don't read the latest in IRC - the excessive draws was a bug, I get 120 draws with 6 orbs on screen now.

On having no shadows on pickups I think we need a discussion, and there's certainly a point to be made for either case.

Maybe certain pickups. Smile I think for all it is safe to say that self-shadowing is unneccesary though. Wink

iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2006 - 08:35 AM
IC Team

Yes, I'll take that off ASAP.

coldr3alityOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2008 - 10:56 AM
Ground-pounder

I think the good old orb is more meaningful. I've seen it in my dreams, afterall. How will my subconscious mind cope without it?

An orb makes more sense to crash into, anyways!

I think placing the orbs in a metal shell is just as obviously fictional as the original shield orb, and far less interesting to look at.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2008 - 05:34 PM
Site Admin

The lightning-covered blue orb, however, is tricky to do right in a full 3D engine, first of all because spheres are hard to do, and second of all because of the special effects.

They worked in Descent 1 & 2 because they were basically hand-drawn sprites, but personally I felt that the Descent 3 shield orb was somewhat lacking.

I feel that the special particle FX we have coming out of the shield orb (and the energy cube) serve as a nice counterpoint to the originals.

Jump to: