Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 3 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: Main Menu Rebuild  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 - 06:30 AM
Site Admin

I'm going to try to tackle getting us a shiny new main menu for IC 003. This thread will track my work with screenshots and the like and it's also where I'll post requests and such.

So, first request: should we have something instead of Mars in the background? I'd rather see the Pyro or a cool original Descent shield orb or perhaps a new alien something. If someone wants to make an LWO model for that, it would be pretty cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Main Menu Rebuild  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 - 06:35 AM
IC Team

The original Descent shield orb with some moving atmosphere/sparks is how I always pictured it.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Main Menu Rebuild  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 - 06:44 AM
Site Admin

I'd like to see the pyro staring straight at the player with the headlights on, but the shield orb is certainly a lower-intensity great way to do it. I guess what we need is basically a blue sphere with some kind of electricity effect on it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 - 08:36 AM
Site Admin

Here's what I've got so far. A list of things I've changed:

- Removed "New Game" button
- Removed "Load Game" button
- Removed "Save Game" button
- Changed to ic logo instead of Doom3 logo (and repositioned)
- Removed animated logo overlay
- Removed id Software intro movie

And yes, the multiplayer menu works fine now. I figured out the problem we were having earlier with that: we were editing an older version of mainmenu.gui! They changed it in a patch to accomodate showing additional columns in the server browser (punkbuster, among others).

I'll be checking in this new mainmenu gui as you'll be able to see in the new art assets tracking thread.

The next step is to add the IC-specific controls to the options menu. From what I've seen so far, this should be pretty easy.

DOOM3 2006-06-29 00-35-59-21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.48 KB
 Viewed:  14988 Time(s)

DOOM3 2006-06-29 00-35-59-21.jpg

TronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 - 07:06 PM
IC Team

Looking pretty snazzy. Smile

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 02:57 AM
IC Team

Nice. Simple and to the point.

Now make that sphere blue and smooth, add some zap zap and we're done. It can even fade in the same way. Can we just get rid of the grid?

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 03:09 AM
Site Admin

I can get rid of the grid, yes. That's no problem.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 05:07 AM
Site Admin

Removed scanlines from the mars picture as well as the background grid (and, hence, the grid "pulse" effect). I like it now because even though it's obviously the same moon as the normal Doom 3, without the scanlines, D3 logo, and grid, it really looks "different".

DOOM3 2006-06-29 21-05-40-59.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.94 KB
 Viewed:  14964 Time(s)

DOOM3 2006-06-29 21-05-40-59.jpg

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 07:56 AM
Site Admin

Here's the completed controls menu. I have to copy and paste this into the multiplayer GUI as well to update the in-multiplayer-game controls doodad. The mainmenu.gui is also attached; dump it in \intocerberon\guis (you'll have to create this folder) on top of an IC002 install to see the new menus in action.

Controls - Weapons.jpg
 Description:
Controls - "Weapons"
 Filesize:  18.86 KB
 Viewed:  14953 Time(s)

Controls - Weapons.jpg

Controls - Other.jpg
 Description:
Controls - "Other"
 Filesize:  19.34 KB

Controls - Other.jpg

Controls - Movement.jpg
 Description:
Controls - "Movement"
 Filesize:  22.25 KB

Controls - Movement.jpg

Controls - Attack.jpg
 Description:
Controls - "Attack"
 Filesize:  19.38 KB
 Viewed:  14954 Time(s)

Controls - Attack.jpg

vertigo-oneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 09:52 AM
CED Captain

pretty sweet man... but yes.. deffinately need to get the mouse2 seccondary fire set up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 12:03 PM
IC Team

i was wondering where are located the masks... i would like to change that greysh blue boring colour....
And the mars planet, too... that's a 3d model! i will try to alter the texture a bit Laughing

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 05:34 PM
Site Admin

Most of the GUI assets are in guis\assets (in pak000.pk4). All of the pieces of the grey rectangles are in \guis\assets\mainmenu, for example. I should warn you that there are a bajillion of the little fuckers, though, so it could take you a while. (The reason there are so many? The main menu's massive amounts of animation).

The planet, which might be simpler for you to change, is \models\wipes\planet.lwo (in pak002.pk4)

SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 06:29 PM
IC Team

HeXetic wrote:
Most of the GUI assets are in guis\assets (in pak000.pk4). All of the pieces of the grey rectangles are in \guis\assets\mainmenu, for example. I should warn you that there are a bajillion of the little fuckers, though, so it could take you a while. (The reason there are so many? The main menu's massive amounts of animation).

The planet, which might be simpler for you to change, is \models\wipes\planet.lwo (in pak002.pk4)

As ever, nothing goes straight. the model and its textures are on the same folder. I grabbed them, put into the ic folders, modified it, okay. But the texture of the planet remains always the same. model shows my mods, the clouds on it too, but the surface: nein
Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, i was thinking to completely alter the scene, for example, putting a starfield painted on a bg polygon, with some planets and a ships moving distant. But don't know anthing on where the scene resides etc. If you agree, we'll work on it just before releasing, not now

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 - 07:54 PM
Site Admin

I'm think I know why it's doing that. The mainmenu.gui references the file as something like "gui/models/planet.lwo", which is actually isn't the exact pathname, it's like the decl name of the object or something, and you can't override it just by putting a new file in the same folder location. I had the same problem changing over to the "INTO CERBERON" text instead of the Doom 3 logo. Try changing mainmenu.gui to refer to the exact pathname of your new lwo, so like /guis/assets/mainmenu/newplanet.lwo or whatever. If you search in the gui file for "planet" you should find the line in short order.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 03:30 AM
IC Team

Hey it works pretty well. Something strange happens to the logo when you exit from the credits screen (goes back to Doom3 size and placement).

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 03:55 AM
Site Admin

Yeah, I noticed that last night. I'll see about fixing it.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 04:30 AM
Site Admin

Removed the old mainmenu.zip here, uploading a new one for your perusal:
- Added "Flare" key
- Fixed column sizes
- Fixed credits page.

mainmenu.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mainmenu.zip
 Filesize:  50.44 KB
 Downloaded:  449 Time(s)

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 06:56 AM
Site Admin

And now we've got our multiplayer maps in the menu list, with preview pics. With a code change, the maxplayers has been bumped up to 8 as well. I think that just about does it for the GUI enhancements.

The only flaws I can see are:
- The skin selector is still there (who cares...)
- When initiating a changelevel vote, the map previews aren't present (no clue why).
- Just the standard shield orb load screen for the maps (who cares, they load in 5 secs anyways).

Create Server.jpg
 Description:
Create Server box. Note the maplist, the preview icon, and the maxplayers.
 Filesize:  20.33 KB
 Viewed:  14901 Time(s)

Create Server.jpg

SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 02:13 PM
IC Team

negative. the mainmenu.gui references to the correct planet. i also tried altering its name (and the name of my model). I should look at the material file, but i can't find it and i cant understand what value defines the movement. there are just "vewOffset", "modelOrigin", LightOrigin etc

edit: i found something like
Code:

onTime 1100 { transition "viewOffset" "-300 -28 0 0" "-128 0 0 0" "9500" "0" "0.9" ;}

but i cant understand the meaning of all thopse values. PLus, the script is all unformatted. how did you edit that? i f i try to open with editguis, it gets formatted but the game...crashes (as ever)

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 05:33 PM
Site Admin

Don't worry about that, that's just setting the position of the model (or the camera relative to the model). There are lines about causing the model to rotate, though. What are you trying to change? You could send me your stuff and I'll fool around with it myself.

SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 09:22 PM
IC Team

actually, i dont have any "stuff". just a blue mars texture and some clouds

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2006 - 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Just toss 'em over to hexetic@hotmail.com and I'll see if I can shimmy them in.

vertigo-oneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 - 04:08 AM
CED Captain

i say for the background pic you guys just take marine aquarium and replace all the fish with little pyros Razz
haha

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Jump to: