Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 3 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
m8nkeyOffline
Post subject: Player Scale / Camera Bob  PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007 - 11:58 AM
Cadet

There's a couple of things I've noticed over the last few days I thought I'd raise in a single thread.

The Camera Bob: Has anyone else reported feeling a bit motion sick from the degree of camera bob used? It bobs significantly more than ds3, particularly while moving (I no longer have copies of ds1 or 2 to check them). I've never felt sick playing a game before in the last 15 or so years. I find it discomforting even when only playing for a short period of time.

Player Scale: I noticed this has been raised in a few of the mapping threads but was just wondering why you decided on such a large scale for the player model?

I thought it would make sense to make the ship bounding box the default player height squared, resulting in a larger potential mapping scale and allowing for a potentially smaller texture scale and better quality texturing.

I have no idea what the default texture scale in IC is but doom3 textures in general look quite pixelated by todays standards. Perhaps consider a default texture scale of .25 if it isn't already.

Reply with quote Back to top
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007 - 07:11 PM
IC Team

Ship bob is adjustable

pm_ic_shipBob: 0, 1, 2
0 = No ship bobbing
1 = Descent 1/2 style bobbing (up/down)
2 = New Into Cerberon bobbing (up/down and side-to-side, with roll)

pm_ic_shipBobDistance: [0,10]
Multiplier for bob distance

pm_ic_shipBobRate: [0,10]
Multiplier for bob rate

The scale was made so large so mappers could use stock Doom3 objects or models.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007 - 08:39 PM
Site Admin

Note that bob style 2 hasn't been implemented yet. The default bob settings were intended to try to match that of D1 & D2, which I think bobbed quite a lot more than D3. Play around with the distance & rate settings and see what you like. Those two parameters are somewhat awkward to adjust, though, as they kind of affect each other. The "distance" parameter actually controls velocity; distance is a function of the rate and the velocity.

As Narfig pointed out, the original idea with making the ship "full-size" was so that maps could contain human-sized elements to lend an air of reality to everything. Human doors, small control rooms and computer consoles, ladders and stairs -- the idea is that they reinforce the fact that the player is in a hover ship and not walking (or floating) around in a suit.

The ship's actual size was determined more by eyeballing than anything else. It's about the same size relative to a human as the average fighter jet is today -- actually, it might even be below that average.

Personally although I do agree that Doom 3 had many extremely blotchy-looking textures, I believe this was more a function of low texture resolution rather than scale. The emphasis with Doom 3 was clearly on the lighting engine making up for low-poly models and low-res textures -- not to mention the fact that when it came out, graphics cards would have struggled to deal with all three. Now we're two generations later (GF9 instead of GF6) and I feel IC's new stuff can have the highest resolution textures allowed. Myself, I feel that the Pyro's texture looks good enough in-game. Perhaps because you've been working on the skins so much that you're starting to notice its deficiencies, but I don't think anyone else has complained about its texture resolution.

I believe the Pyro texture resolution is currently at 4096 square, is that right? We could make the "Ultra" quality level texture be 8192 square if absolutely desired, although that does mean it's a 67 MB texture uncompressed... I'm not familiar with how efficient DXTC is with textures of that size.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007 - 01:00 AM
IC Team

The pyro is a 2k map right now, and I think it would not be wise to go up to 4k. Remember the texture is actually 3 maps (at least), so the texture memory adds up pretty quickly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
m8nkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007 - 02:47 AM
Cadet

Thanks for the explanations, makes more sense now.

Iceheart: I wasn't refering to the actual ship texture which looks fine at it's current resolution. I was refering to the environment texture scale.

iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007 - 03:18 AM
IC Team

You could use the textures from vanilla D3 at any scale you want, we're not forcing any scale at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2008 - 06:14 PM
IC Team

the environment tex scale doesn't affect the quality. That's implied by the name -scale-. SIze is relative: if you cover more srface with you FoV, you scale up the texture, there's no way to tell if a 1x1 wall with 1.0 scaled texture on it is different from a 10x10 wall with 10.0 scaled texture

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to: